Local Attractions

 

Maryborough Railway Station - Victoria Street, Maryborough Phone: (03) 5460 4511

Historic railway station, built in 1890. Mark Twain remarked when visiting "A station with a town attached". The station is reported to have the longest platform in country Victoria. Admire the highly polished timber ceiling and beautiful tessellated floor in the main entrance. The station is complemented by the Antique Emporium.

 

Bristol Hill Lookout - Miners Drive, Maryborough

The Pioneer Memorial Tower (1933) was built during the Great Depression largely of material from the old Maryborough Gaol. It is situated at the edge of the Bristol Hill Reserve, (adjacent Miners Drive) and offers great views of the town. Bristol Hill (905 m above sea-level) is based upon and named after Bristol Reef which was mined for gold from the late 1850s. There are old tailings to the west of the tower.

 

Maryborough Walking Tour

Pick up a guide at the Central Goldfields Visitor Information Centre Phone: (03) 5460 4511 Enjoy an afternoon touring majestic buildings, beautiful gardens and sporting grounds in Maryborough. The outing includes Phillips Gardens, Old Maryborough Knitting Mill, Olympic Swimming Pool, Crameri building, Railway Station, Maryborough Flour Mill, Bull & Mouth Hotel, McLandress Square, Old Fire Station, Court of Mines, Worsley Cottage, Bristol Hill Tower, and Princes Park.

 

McLandress Square - Clarendon Street, Maryborough

The town's civic centre, located on the site of the one of the government camps in the area. In the European style the Italianate buildings face a small square, known as McLandress Square. The imposing Victorian post office was built in 1877 as a post office, courthouse and sub-treasury. The town hall was built in 1887 and the courthouse in 1892-93.

 

Aboriginal Wells

To the south of Maryborough are four rock wells dug into sandstone by the Jajowurrong people prior to European settlement. Head out of town on Derby Rd (towards Ballarat), turn left into Lean St, cross over the railway line, turn right into Stoneham Drive, left into Wells Rd and, after 2 km, take the signposted track left and the wells are 200 metres away.

 

Grand Duke Arch at Timor

The granite arch of the Grand Duke mine is a reminder of the glory days of the gold rush era. This mine operated for 27 years between 1869 and 1896, employing 150 men. It yielded 6125 Kgs of gold during operations.

 

Heritage

Throughout the Goldfields there are fine examples of colonial and Victorian architecture. The prosperity of the gold mining era has left a plethora of notable civic buildings such as town halls, court houses, post offices, schools and churches. The use of local stone in particular, plus brick and bluestone, adds to the elegance and charm of the historic buildings, many of which are classified by the National Trust or Heritage Victoria. Many attractive homes, their verandahs lavishly trimmed with ornate cast iron lace, grace the streets of towns throughout this area.